A few weeks ago while driving home from one event or another, The Man made an excellent point about Christmas music on the radio: that it is comforting to know every song that’s one, even if you don’t particularly like it.
And while neither of us hates any particular song*, we differ in our Christmas musical tastes. We both like the classics – – basically anything Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, or the Carpenters. But that is where the similarities end.
The Man loves the kitschy music: Feliz Navidad, Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey, Frosty the Snowman, I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas and the like. Sure, those songs are fun, but nothing quite gets me in the Christmas Spirit more than what I like to call Contemporary Niche Christmas Music.
So without further adieu, I present The Twelve Songs of LiveLafeLove Christmas:
12. My Only Wish (This Year) – Britney Spears
11. Grown up Christmas List – Amy Grant (though Kelly Clarkson’s version is also fabulous)
10. Wonderful Christmas Time – Paul McCartney
9. Last Christmas – Wham
8. Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town – Bruce Springsteen
7. Step into Christmas – Elton John
6. Christmas/Sarajevo 12/24- Trans-Siberian Orchestra
5. Do They Know It’s Christmas Time- Band Aid
4. Happy Xmas (War is Over) – John Lennon f/ Yoko Ono
3. Breath of Heaven – Amy Grant
2. Snoopy’s Christmas – the Royal Guardsmen
1. And of course, the classic, the queen, the star of Christmas light, Ms. Mariah Carey, singing All I want for Christmas Is You:
Merry Christmas Eve!!
*Except for Gene Autry’s version of Up on the Housetop. I will switch to any other station rather than listen to those creepy Ho Ho Ho’s.